Our 2010 rollout continues this week. In my last message, I discussed one of our goals and announced the Membership Drive. For more information go to http://sidekicks.me/?p=535 . We’ve also been discussing the Ultimate Success Formula. If you don’t remember what I’m talking about, here is a quick review:
Ultimate Success Formula for 2010:
- Know what you want
- Take MASSIVE action
- Check what’s working and what’s not
- Change your approach until achieve what you want.
My first article this month had a lot to do with helping you reach your personal goals through our martial arts training program. The second was asking for your help in one of the school’s goals with the membership drive. Today, I want to address a personal goal of mine and one that I believe is probably the same goal many of you may have as well, especially at the beginning of the year and that is weight loss goals.
You see, for the past year, I’ve watched my weight climb steadily. Why? The same reasons most people gain weight. Eating the wrong combination of foods, alongside not enough exercise (generally, we don’t count teaching as exercising), and eating at the wrong times because of stress or boredom. I am, however, ready to be done with all that.
So, for the beginning of this year, I want us to hold our own version of the Biggest Loser competition. If you don’t know what that is, it’s a reality tv show on NBC centered around weight loss. Let’s step up our game and live physically the way we feel mentally and what’s in our hearts.
Here’s how our “biggest loser” style competition is going to work:
- All competitors will pay a non-refundable entry fee of $100 per person. This money will be used as the pool for the grand prize. The more people that get in the competition, the larger the grand prize. You must register, with your entry fee, by Monday January 25th at 6 PM,
- The Orientation, initial weigh-in, and Q&A session will be on Monday, January 25th at 6PM.
- The competition is set up as the entire set of competitors versus me, Manny Cabrera III, Fourth Degree Black Belt and Chief Instructor at Sidekicks Family Martial Arts Centers. I’m going to test for Fifth degree black belt this year and I want to kick off my training with a bang.
- The Grand Prize winner will be determined as the person who loses the most percentage of weight over the course of thirteen weeks. (Jan. 25 through April 19th)
- Here is how the prize is awarded: If you lose the greatest percentage of weight of all competitors, but do not beat me, you win half of the grand prize money. The other half will be used to make improvements on the school (like finishing our front desk area). However, should you run the table and beat everyone else, including me, you’ll be awarded 100% of the prize and be declared Sidekicks’ first ever weight loss champion.
- Weigh-ins will be conducted in person, at Sidekicks, every Monday of the competition using the same scale. Weigh-ins will be verified by Mr. Cabrera. They can be conducted anytime during business hours. (3-8:45 PM).
- Just to reassure people that there’s no funny business going on, I will have my own weigh-ins documented and verified by a parent not participating in the competition.
- Now to the subject of nutrition. Because I am not a licensed nutrition specialist, I will not prescribe any specific diet principles for you. The generally accepted consensus for weight loss is to eat less calories than you use. To encourage you and let you know you are not in this alone, I will publish my own plan as well as be public about my eating and exercise.
- For the 13 weeks of the competition and to encourage you to go all out and exercise, I will allow each competitor unrestricted access to our Warrior X-Fit: 15 Rounds to Fitness Classes. If you are not a student of ours, I will be glad to share with you how you can continue training with us after the competition ends.
- Anyone can participate as long as they are healthy enough to do so and are at least 13 years old. As with anything, please consult your primary care physician before changing your diet or beginning a physically rigorous routine.
- After the initial weigh in event/orientation, all information about the status of the competition will be sent via e-mail on a special list and reposted to our blog located at http://sidekicks.me. Remember, accountability is the key and public accountability is a great motivator. Posted each week on the boards here at the FishHawk campus will be a “results so far” type of spreadsheet so that non participants can join in and encourage us.
- Mr. Manny Cabrera III, Fourth Degree Black Belt, is the final judge in all matters or disputes.
- This competition is meant to be fun and encouraging; any attitudes, actions, back biting, or conversations that are inconsistent with the philosophy of Sidekicks Family Martial Arts Centers will result in the competitor being disqualified without a refund of that competitor’s entry fee.
- In the event of a tie, the appropriate portion of the prize will be divided equally between the winners. In the event of the grand prize winner’s percentage of loss tieing Mr. Cabrera’s, they will be awarded 100% of the Grand Prize.
- You agree to not hold the organizers of this competition, Sidekicks Family Martial Arts Centers, Inc., its agents, sponsors, liable for any negative effects with regards to health, tax obligations from winnings, or incidents where you get hit on by members of either gender because of how awesome you look at the end of the completion. Your participation in the competition is completely voluntary and you can quit at any time without a refund of your entry fee. Sidekicks Family Martial Arts centers urges you and all students to obtain a physical examination from a doctor before using any exercise equipment or participating in any exercise class. All exercises, including the use of weights and use of any and all machinery, equipment, and apparatus designed for exercising shall be at the competitor’s sole risk. Competitors understand that the agreement to use, or selection of exercise programs, methods and types of equipment shall be the competitor’s entire responsibility, and Sidekicks shall not be liable to competitor for any claims, demands, injuries, damages, or actions arising due to injury to a competitor’s person or property arising out of or in connection with the use by competitor of the services, facilities, and premises of Sidekicks Family Martial Arts Centers, Inc. Competitor hereby holds the school, it’s officers, owners, agents, and employees harmless from all claims which may be brought against them by competitor or on competitor’s behalf for any such injuries or claims.
Well, there you have it, the ruls of the competition as near as I can figure it.
I wish all of you good luck and want you to know that we are here to help you and/or steer you in the direction of the experts (when we don’t qualify). I also want to encourage you to bring your “A” game because, like you, I’m in it to win it.